[HacktionLab] virtual picket line technologies?

flour at aktivix.org flour at aktivix.org
Tue Jan 31 16:07:41 UTC 2023

Yes, thanks.  The legal space of literally trying to implement a
digital picket line is unexamined but likely to have lots of
institutional policy issues around use of data.  A picket line
functions by operating in a public access path.  Packet sniffing the
digital entrance to a university is unlikely to be thought of similarly.

It is something to consider the numerous ways digital technologies are
being used to slightly shift the ground under the feet of legal
activities in a way that slightly undermines their effectiveness.
With the government passing many new laws restricting people's power
to refuse their impositions, increasing police powers and making more
union or other protest activities illegal it is not the best time to
look for new tactics that have to answer publicly.

Of course there are also many ways we have been able to use digital
technologies to do campaign work, spread information, or
identify/undermine targets