[HANDgreenteam] VBC :: Buckman Community Composting Site

ethan ethan at handpdx.org
Sat Jun 6 18:56:31 BST 2009

The 9th City Repair Village Building Convergence is happening right in your
neighborhood, at the New Day School Annex at SE 18th and Clinton (have you
seen the nice new orange paint job!?). *But that's not all...* During the
days at VBC, work is being done at 20 sites all over the city to create
community and neighborhood vitality.

I know what you're thinking: "I'd like to participate in building community
and neighborhood sustainability, but don't know where to go, or what to
focus on ...the list of events at the VBC is so long, and all seem so
interesting, and I'm a bit overwhelmed..."

Drum roll... Turn your attention, then, dear neighborhood Green Team
activist, to the *Buckman Community Composting
Site*<http://cityrepair.org/sites/vbc9-buckman-neighborhood-compost-project/>
.

*"The Buckman Sustainability Committee is made up of neighborhood volunteers
and students from Portland State University. We will be installing a compost
tumbler in the planting strip at 1507 SE Alder
Street<http://cityrepair.org/sites/vbc9-buckman-neighborhood-compost-project/>plus
two bins for holding browns and greens. During the VBC we will
construct and install bins, install a compost tumbler, construct a kiosk and
paint the intersection with an organic vine design with soft beautiful
colors. The vine will seem to grow from the composting area. When the
Community Composting Site is completed, neighbors will bring fruit and
vegetable kitchen scraps for composting. The compost will be FREE to
participants in the program. This is a pilot for a composting network in the
Buckman Neighborhood. "*

*Schedule*

Thursday, June 4: Scrub street

Friday and Saturday June 5/6: Construct and install bins

Sunday June 7: Install compost tumbler

Monday and Tuesday June 8/9: Outline street graphic

Wednesday, June 10 :Take a day off

Thursday and Friday June 11/12: Construct and install kiosk

Saturday, June 13: Paint street graphic