[imc-uk-emergency] Static documents on Mir -- better on the Wiki?

ionnek ionnek at gmx.net
Wed Apr 30 13:53:37 BST 2003

At 10:19 30/04/03, Chris Croome wrote:
>Hi
>
>One thing that struck me last night was that the static documents
>[1] might be better off _not_ on the new Mir site but on the Wiki,

not sure I understand: do you mean not having a mission statement,
contacts, ed guidelines, about us, support us etc linked from the
uk.indymedia.org startpage?

I think we should have links to these docs from the startpage, because
people are used to look for "metainfo" on websites.

We could link to wiki pages instead of linking to websites. Agree that it
would be easier to update. on the other hand, everybody could then alter
the documents, wether they are familiar with the indy process or not, in
good will or with destructive intentions. We could end up with a mission
statement that is constantly being changed without a discussion in the
network, or somebody might add their local mediagroup to the imc uk
contacts. Could be an interesting experiment...

but I'd be inclined to try and stop it when people like ram start using the
twiki...

Maybe I'm too stuck in "collective process". I'd hope that at some point,
all the imc uk groups will "own" these basic documents, because they've
discussed them, worked on them and agreed on them. Things like mission
statement and ed guidelines won't need to be updated very often.

We could still insert a link to the twiki in the webpages. The twiki at the
moment is a lot of "work in progress", while the websites represent
something that has been agreed on.
People could work on draft documents on the twiki whenever they feel it's
necessary, then  others could change and alter them, until everybody is
happy and a proposal would go to the process list to replace the old doc by
the draft. Then maybe some more discussion, or instant agreement, whatever.

I'm a bit hesitant to publicise the twiki widely - it's beauty is that it's
a completely open tool,  but I think it should only be used by people who
have the serious intention to use it for indymedia. Maybe my view is too
closed? On the other hand, it would be good to refer to the twiki,
definitely when we launch the new site so that our "public" can see more of
our process.

Saying that, I'd love to have a "thematic topic" called "doing indymedia"
or so on mir, maybe even now a subsection on the old page, to introduce
"users" to the new page.

best,
ionnek