[imc-uk-emergency] Re: [Imc-uk-features] about hiding

ionnek ionnek at gmx.net
Sat Mar 29 18:49:29 GMT 2003

hi Ian

thanks for your mail & hope you don't mind if I use it to publicly give my
view about hiding.

I don't think that anybody is abusing their passwords.

I guess that you're aware that lots of "new" people have started to take
responsibility to "clean" the newswire. You probably know from experience
that most hiding is rather straigthforward - I mean double postings, party
rants, BNP press releases, repeat postings, spam.

In the "old" UK group (I refer to the website imc-uk), we went through a
long process re hiding - in the beginning, the feats list was notified of
every hiding, and reasons were given. Thats how the guidelines emerged,
slowly and collectively. As time went on, we became a bit sloppy about
notifying the list, cause everybody knew what the others were doing anyway.
Then the Manchester and Lanc network meetings happened, new people got
involved. In my view, in this situation, the list should be notified of
hidden articles. Maybe not necessarily double postings, but everything that
isn't completely obvious.

Good example is the Bilderberg posting. (by the way, it wasn't me who hid
it) For you, Ian, it's absolutely no problem. For me, this Bilderberg thing
is antisemitic, and I know from prior experience that it's unlikely that
we'll come to an agreement about that. But I don't think this is a big
problem. I'm not going to spend my days screening the newswire for
Bilderberg postings, I might not like them but I have better things to do.

It helps if people who are not working directly on the imc-uk site jump
into the discussion, or point to things they think should be (not) hidden.

To sum up - I find it incredibly important to publicly discuss our
policies, even if they are not coherent. After all, we are a very diverse
group, with views as diverse as the indy users themselves. But we need to
further develop the ground-rules about posting and hiding, although, as a
diverse group, we'll never come out with a fixed procedure.

bye,
Ionnek