[imc-uk-emergency] topics pages and regional topics pages done

Vincent Bouchard societelibre at riseup.net
Sun May 11 14:48:40 BST 2003

I think the imc-uk-tech list is down so I forward this to the imc-uk-emergency
list so that we don't do it twice...

ciao

vince

Hi!

Just to say that I created the topic pages based on the portland model
(http://portland.indymedia.org ). When you click on a thematic topics in the
left column, you access a "topic startpage" which has the same format at the
normal startpage, but showing only features, start-special articles and
newswire articles for the specific topic (see
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/ ). Then, from this topic
startpage, you can access two other topic pages, namely a "topic features
archive" and  a "topic newswire archive", from the links "More features" and
"newswire archive" (for example
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/feature/archive.html and
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/newswire/archive.html ). So
there are three different pages for each topic. But all the topic pages are
generated from the same three templates, unlike the regional pages that have
their own regional templates. These three templates are
/etc/producer/topicpage.template (topic startpage),
/etc/producer/topicfeaturearchive.template and
/etc/producer/topicnewswirearchive.template , with the obvious corresponding
producers in the admin section.

I also tried to modify the publish page (press the publish button) such that
we can choose first between the regions, then between the thematic topics.
However I didn't manage to work it out... but zapata (a Mir coder) told me
that he wrote new codes for the /etc/open section, i.e. the publishing stuff,
that are fully customizable. So we should install these new codes next week
and it will much easier to work out this separation between regions and
topics. Also, in the left column, the topics and regions do not appear in the
publishing page, but that should be also corrected with the new codes
apparently. For an example of what our publishing page could look like with
the new Mir codes he made, see the publish page of Portland - made with these
new codes:
http://publish.portland.indymedia.org/portland/servlet/OpenMir?do=opensession
&sessiontype=content

I also changed the uk stylesheet; I reduced the size of the fonts (which were
really too big I think), and reduced the size of the inside margins, the top
and the archive bars. Not a big deal... :-)

Finally I also created regional topic pages, i.e. regional topic startpages,
regional topic newswire archive and regional topic feature archives. For
example, the Oxford anti-militarism newswire archive
(https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/oxford/antimilitarism/newswire/archive.html )
gives all the articles from the Oxford newsiwre that are included in
"anti-militarism". In this way, if someone is on the Oxford indymedia page
and wants to read all the anti-war articles, the anti-war link in the topics
from the Oxford page will lead to the Oxford database of anti-war stuff, and
not to the whole uk one. So it gives againt a lot more independence to the
local collectives. To have the whole uk database, you have to go to the uk
site, logically...

The regional templates are : oxford/topicpage.template ,
oxford/topicnewswirearchive.template, oxford/topicfeaturearchive.template .
They are produced by the "regionaltopicpage", "regionaltopicnewswirearchive"
and "regionaltopicfeaturearchive" producers. You can copy these templates to
your regional subdirectories and again change "oxford" for the name of your
region wherever it appears... the layout uses your regional stylesheet.

to have an idea, you can go to
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/oxford/indymedia/ ,
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/oxford/indymedia/newswire/archive.html and
https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/oxford/indymedia/newswire/feature.html

Oh yes, also, I created two different lists for thematic topics and regions.
The list of
regions is now generated from navigation.regions.template , and the list of
thematic topics from navigation.topics.template. All the UK and Oxford
templates now call these two producers in the left column.

To add a thematic topic, go to the admin section
(http://uktest.indymedia.de/uktest/Mir ), go to super-user functions, then to
topics, and add a topic with "url-archive: issue". It will be classified as a
thematic topic. If "url-archive: region" it will be classified as a region.

ciao

vince

- - --
In the 1960s, a student at Harvard Law School addressed parents and alumni
with these words:

The streets of our country are in turmoil. The universities are filled with
students rebelling and rioting. Communists are seeking to destroy our
country. Russia is threatening us with her might. And the republic is in
danger. Yes! danger from within and without. We need law and order! Without
law and order our nation cannot survive.

There was prolonged applause. When the applause died down, the student
 quietly told his listeners: "These words were spoken in 1932 by Adolf
 Hitler."

from Howard Zinn's Declarations of Independence

ZOMBIE - Zone Ouverte de Mobilisation pour Briser les Inégalités et
 Exclusions

http://zombie.lautre.net

- --