[imc-uk-emergency] irc chat tomorrow, 14.5., 7pm

ionnek ionnek at gmx.net
Wed May 14 12:21:25 BST 2003

Invitation to all imcs to join the irc chat tomorrow, Thursday, May 14, 7pm.

WHERE: irc.indymedia.org, /join #uk.

WHAT:
1/ discussing when and how and at which state to launch the new imc uk
site. work out a concept and propose to process so that imc groups can
comment. Attention: silence tends to be read as "go ahead" :-)
2/ discussing the present state of the testpage - please look at it
beforehand. Checking technical options and things to do.
3/ more?

ON IRC:
We've realised in previous chats that it works best if people have a
general agreement on what the chat is about, and if they familiarise
themselves about the topics that are being discussed.
Irc is not a medium we are that familiar with. It's a great tool to
communicate across geographical distance with some immediacy, but it can't
replace concise emails or face to face meetings. Here are a few details
that make it easier to communicate via keyboard in real time:

- check out the topics on the agenda beforehand, ask if you don't
understand something
- establish at the beginning how much time we have
- say hello and goodbye
- if you want to elaborate on something but can't get into the flow, type
/me raises hand.
- if you finished elaborating on something, type <end>
- if you are doing something else, type for expl. /me looks at testsite
- if you leave for a while, change your name by typing /nick myname_food
- people who join later can be updated about the agenda or other details by
"whispering" - click on the name of the new person and type your message in
a separate window.
- listening / reading and understanding is just as important as typing

we might be able to chat without facilitation, but if there are more than
10 pp it might help to choose a facilitator.

c u there
Ionnek