[imc-uk-emergency] Re: lancaster subsection....

andi andi at syndicate.org.uk
Sun Oct 5 01:28:12 BST 2003

hi jmp and grugnog,

jmp wrote on 10/3/03 1:44 PM

>> another point, and one that i really thinks needs stressing here
>> is: please communicate in public! -
>
>ok... however, grugnog asked to be introduced, as he sees himself as
>"outside the system" and since I know you from real life encounters i
>thought it was the best way to introduce Grugnog, so that it is clear
>that he is actually a trusted member of Lancaster IMC. It was not to be
>in the dark. Just to establish a channel. I am assuming that Grugnog
>will ask the questions that you premeditate on uk-tech and in IRC. My
>email was meant to merely establish that there is a person called
>Grugnog who will get in touch and ask such questions on behalf of LIMC -
>if you see what i mean... sorry to have caused inconvenience......

oops... sorry i hope i haven't offended you both! re-reading my mail i
think i probably was a bit snappy as i realized on friday that i hadn't
answered your mail yet and some of that being annoyed with meself
filters thru i guess... had three crap weeks on the day job (affecting
me even if i only do part-time). and i had run constantly behind things
happening ever since we chatted on monday. i guess i thought with a mail
to tech at least someone else would have been able to talk about things.
anyhow - as the lists are down at the moment that wouldn't have worked
either ;(

i'm sending to the emergency list as well - that's the fallback...

>I think that he can develop the subsection remotely???? But this is all
>beyond me anyway.............

after the kosmos hack all development work should be done on a dev
server which we don't have at the mo - but i may be wrong. i'm badly out
of the info loop, haven't connected to irc all week.

basically, to test out things grugnog: you could install mir locally and
tweak the code. even if you're not doing that, the cvs-browsing works at
last again. that means you can view the code that is live now, check
http://mir.indymedia.org/cvs/viewcvs.cgi/setup_uk/etc/producer/ there is
already a lancaster directory. check oxford for the template, all of the
regions but sheffield have copied that and tweaked it...

>Looking forward to the documentation of this process ;).
>
>This is probably something that we should bring up on Sheffield meeting:
>trust in the network.
>
>Who is anyone in IRC, mailignlist etc: - am I really from Lancaster is
>Grugnog actuallt affiliated with us etc etc. These were the worries
>Grugnog wanted to avoid and that I tried to bypass by opening a personal
>channel.

yep it's true that a personal intro helps in a situation where people
don't know each other directly. but trust can as well be built up by
doing stuff and introducing oneself by engaging... this has happened
quite a few times for example on the features list where people that no
one had ever met in person were given admin passwords to hide as they
had 'earned trust' by mailing quality stuff to the features list...

similarly for tech - it'd be great to have a dev server for situations
like this with someone willing to work on a new region: even if no-one
knew that person, one way of building trust could be to give space on a
development server to anyone who's willing to work or learn.

in any case, i guess a real-life contact is needed at some point for sure.
and as it goes with things inbetween pple, it'll be different every
time...
enuf mailed, i'm dead curious about meeting all these unknown pple in
sheffield! and jmp - i haven't seen u long enuf anyway at dsei ;)

cheers andi