[LAF] LAF MATTERS

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Wed Nov 16 01:13:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:26:13PM +0000, Joy Wood wrote:

> Combine the two forums (LAF and Freedom readers) I think that sounds a
> reasonable idea - hey, I might just have to subscribe to Freedom now! :)

As I understand it, the London Anarchist Forum has a fairly long
history and it would be a shame for it to dissapear. But a (possibly
temporary) alliance with the proposed Freedom readers' group might
provide the boost it needs.

> But then again why don't you just MOVE TO LONDON Ian?  You would certainly
> save on the fares!  Otherwise, I don't know where you live but, if you
> travel by overground and buy tickets in advance you can sometimes get them
> cheaper and even get a seat (eg APEX tickets).

I live in Hatfield, which is normally an easy 25 min train ride to
Kings Cross. I used to get a one day travel card but since privatisation
the cost has gone from expensive to stupidly expensive (they have gutted
the benefits of a "network card" to the point where it no longer makes
sense to buy one even for frequent travellers). I now just get a return
to Kings Cross and take my bike for getting around London (which is much
more fun anyway - should have done that all along). Trouble is, for the
last few months there have been engineering works on the line at the
weekend, with a crap replacement bus service that takes hours. Last
winter one of the replacement busses looked like it had spent the last
50 years in a transport museum, it was only fractionally above zero
inside with wet seats and condensation dripping from the ceiling and
the driver had no idea where he was going. A couple of times I have
cycled 30 miles home from London up the river Lea, but usually if it
is a weekend I cycle 5 miles from Hatfield to St. Albans to get the
Thames Link train from there.

But I am well settled in my place in Hatfield, with wireless broadband
Internet access etc. I sometimes stay in London for a few days but I
am not ready to make any sort of permanent move.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/