[LAF] bookfair

Ian Gregory aktiv at zenatode.org.uk
Sat Sep 9 23:11:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 11:52:56PM +0100, Adrian Williams wrote:

> I think a general eco talk for anarchists would have
> to be about whether the audience thinks the Green
> Party is partly anarchist and/or worth voting for (if
> people vote at all).
> Would people prefer to support pressure groups in
> preference to a political party.
> Do anarchists want to stick to anarchist organisations
> to promote green ideas?

That talk would certainly interest me. I know a local
councilor who defected from Labour to the Green Party
and she will be defending her seat as a Green Party
candidate at the next election.

I am quite happy to work with her and the local Green
Party on issues that I think are important and where
there is a chance of having a positive effect. I would
probably even vote for her if I lived in her ward. However,
I have resisted all efforts to get me to join because I
just can't bring myself to sign up as a member of any
political party.

Incidentally, our Tory MP Grant Shapps, who defeated
the hideous Melanie Jhonson in the last election is also
quite green, and is a great campaigner on local issues.
He started a campaign against the closure of the children's
ward at the local hospital and has recently started a
campaign to resist East of England demands to force Welwyn
Hatfield to allow building 10,000 new houses on green belt
land. I wouldn't even rule out working with him on that,
though I doubt he would go so far as D-Locking himself to
a JCB:-)

Ian

--
Ian Gregory