[LAF] bookfair

stevphen shukaitis stevphen at mutualaid.org
Sat Sep 9 23:13:51 UTC 2006

that's a pretty interesting question. part of me thinks that the green party in general is just
bullshit and not worth the time at best - but i was just reading "the subversion of politics" by
george katsiaficas, which has some interesting information about the formation of the green party
in germany that is making me rethink that. basically he points at, at least during the inital
phase of its formation, the green party was coming out of the anto-nuclear and ecologically
oriented movements and thus had many close connections with interesting forms of radical
organizing not based on electoral action. so there was part of the party that saw themselves as a
vehicle more for keeping alive mass movements and a way to bring about political change by
continually working with extra parliamentary movements. in other words electoralism wasn't a total
focus or even necessarily the most important goal but only one tactic involved in a whole array.

while i'm not entirely sure what to make of that - and it seems this sort of perspective
eventually got marginalized and the directly democratic spirit underpinning the party form which
existed at first disappeared (for instance in the mandatory rotation of officers and other
positions of power) - it does strike me as a much more interesting approach to politics than i had
previously associated with the green party - and for that reason something which would be worth
thinking about more. as an australian friend once quipped to me, sometimes green are like
watermelons, that is green on the outside and red and black on the inside. hmm.... while i haven't
found that too often it certainly does seem like an appealing idea anyways.

cheers
stevphen