[LAF] Possible way to advertise

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Wed Jun 17 01:38:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:56:46AM +0100, VolodyA! V Anarhist wrote:

> I propose sending the following message out:

Personally I am not too keen on it. It could be improved a bit with some
minor editing but there are more fundamental problems.

What are we actually offering? If our events are just a few people
sitting in a pub having a chat then people can do that themselves, they
don't need LAF to organise it for them.

I think if we want to get people along to our meetings then we really
need to set up an event with a reasonably well known speaker talking
about a topical issue and make a big effort to promote it.

If we do want to send out a general advertisement for LAF then I think
it should be shorter, and I think the text on the Facebook group is
good:

> The London Anarchist Forum is an informal, non-sectarian anarchist and
> left libertarian discussion group which meets (usually) once a month
> in Central London to discuss the theory and practise of anarchism and
> topical events from a libertarian / egalitarian position.
>
> The LAF has continually gone through cycles of high and low activity,
> with attendance ranging from 4 people and a person at the wrong
> meeting to 30 or more packed in a tiny room at Conway Hall at various
> points in its history. In recent years activity has been low due to
> the political climate and the alternative commitments of many
> regulars, but we are currently looking to revitalize and welcome new
> input.

Then we should really get a new website to list upcoming meetings. I
have always been reluctant to link to Ed's website due to the horrible
flashing adverts (sorry Ed, I know you have a disclaimer but there must
be better free hosting sites - if not then it is certainly worth
spending a few quid). The Facebook page is better but we can't assume
that everyone uses Facebook.

But I think it is going to be hard to re-vitalise LAF whatever we do. I
know it has a long history and it would be a shame for it to fade into
oblivion but it seems like other things have taken over, for example
RampART has stuff on almost every night:

Tuesday, 9th June, Cinema Libre
Wednesday, 10th June, Crunch the Creditors UK tour
Thursday 11th June, EU and Fascism on the rise - film night
Friday, 12th June, FIT Watch benefit
Saturday, 13th June, Bass Pressure
Monday, 15th June, Rampart meeting and Social cafe afterwards

I went to a a cafe night where people were talking about their
experiences of the riots in Greece and the main room was totally packed.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/