[matilda] Use of Identifiable names in archives

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Mon Aug 8 09:43:13 BST 2005

Hi

On Sun 07-Aug-2005 at 02:52:01AM +0100, R&A wrote:

> "means that people can follow what has been happening if
> they want without joining a list,"
>
> and do we want anybody to follow what has been
> happening, really? without us knowing at least by whom
> we are being surveilled?
>
> Particularly in these times ... one may be pinpointed by
> the Met because of something written without having
> censorship in mind: anybody's political ideas may be
> misunderstood and used against themselves, or don't you
> think so and this is an ungrounded fear ?)

Well if you have closed archives then you have to also
have closed membership because otherwise anyone can join
and read the archives (of course you could have no
archives)...

I still think it is better to have the list open...

Yes of course there is the danger of things being used
against us -- for example I have heard of court cases
where print outs from Indymedia have been used...

Perhaps we are heading towards a situation where political
activity has to go underground, but we are not yet in
anywhere near the same situation as people are in China
for example...

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World