[matilda] Re: paying cleaners?! punk rocking

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Nov 18 14:59:03 GMT 2005

worldwarfree at riseup.net writes:

> I'm shocked this suggestion has been made! We need to share out the dirty
> work between us, not farm it out to someone as a rubbish job. I spent a
> short time as a cleaner this summer and it was horrible, not least because
> if the people working in the office had spent maybe 5 minutes every other
> day cleaning up after themselves, I wouldn't have been needed at all. We
> have to take responsibility for the mess we make, not exploit people by
> giving them shit jobs.
>
> Yes i share you point of view however MATILDA is not about some utopian
> world it has to deal with the here and now i know i would like to be paid
> to clean matilda and would enjoy doing so

Yeah, but then would everyone who cleaned at MATILDA *have* to be paid? I
mean if you got paid for doing cleaning then why should anyone else do it
for nothing?

> Sadley Kathleen not all matilda people have the bollocks you have nither
> the self motvation for some it is just a social space others it means more

I think in general people are not careful about the world, often just
careless and destructive. That results from a disposable consumer society
where what is broken can be thrown away, what is too dirty can be disposed
of, move on, shove the mess into a big hole and nevermind. So it is
imperative that Matilda gets this sorted as a collective and that people
understand why. I came to the film/social last night and it's lovely to see
how things are going as it's a while since I could get down, yet there's
still a lotta work to be done.

> I ask why are WE allways walking into conflict please do take my comments
> as being not for in a ideal world we would all clean up following ourselvs
> sadley we live in a world that is a lot diffront and employing someone to
> clean could I feel only be a posative

By this logic we could say that in an ideal world we would do this and that
and the other but as it is welcome to McMATILDA with cool corporate Mole
logo's at £5.99 a throw, hey buy this and be radical and we'll put the money
into some new corporate notepaper and pay the cleaning staff. Utopia doesn't
exist cos it's not possible but still it's a bit crap that the very basics
seem out of reach.

Anyways, I'm signing myself up to do some cleaning around the place next
Monday eve, Tuesdays are impossible for me but can't say I'd really enjoy
the meeting and would like to get me hands dirty.

That's no solution of course, so there needs to be a cleaning rota or a
cleaning time where everything stops and everyone tidies stuff up. Seems
sorta childish and silly, but then that's what we are (well, o.k., at least
I am;)

Jason