[matilda] Re: gigspace collective related-proposal

Helen and Nick slendermeans1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 17:09:37 BST 2005

I don't know all the specifics of the c90 event. I can
only talk of my experiences of and hopes for
facilitating a indie/punk/acoustic gigs in a space
made for the kids by the kids!

I can understand that people feel annoyed at having to
work allnight at an event they don't support.  But
some people might be happy to donate their time to see
events happen. Perhaps this should be something by we
judge whether events go ahead. Personally I am happy
to donate my time to see bands/gigs I think are
worthwhile happen - not always in a financial sense.
And I have put my energy where my mouth is for the
last 15 years and in being involved in the gig space
collective happy to continue as such.

Big Parties are a big issue for the whole building I
accept. I am abit of a loss as to why a gig till 12,
where an outside group of people (who we think are a
responsible bunch) are organising it, where there may
only be 30-100 people need so many matilda people to
look after it? Perhaps a few if we wnat to do a
bar/cafe to raise money for matilda. Understandable
for all night parties, but for Art 05, IMC film fest,
peace in the park workshops, zine readings? Are there
14 volunteers for the dissent weekend - who knows what
unruly types will turn up to that? The IMC one passed
off smoothly with just 3 people hosting it.

Doing DIY gigs is about making music happen, sometimes
this is used as a tool to raise money for good causes,
sometimes  bands play just for the sheer joy of
playing and being creative. Kids get up off their
arses and do something like this just for the sheer
love of music and creating culture for themselves,
getting together and creating community that means
something to them. Not all of this is easy to
articulate. But it means a hell of a lot to some of us
and has been a passion for years. By bringing this
activity within matilda it is a great way for people
possibly to be inspired by the wider political stuff
that goes on and deepen the radical nature of what
they are doing by doing it in a such a cool guerilla
autonomous space.

Yes sometimes touring bands get quite a bit of money -
but mostly to cover costs. If you are on tour for 3
months across Europe, its expensive. Whatever extra is
made is usually re-invested - running record labels to
put bands, paying for the next tour, recording costs.
People paying into the gigs are happy to support the
bands in this way.  That person in the crowd is just
as likely to write a zine that the band member will
buy, and the gig collective will buy records from the
kid (like me) who used their student loan to set up a
record label to put out his friend's band that rocks
her world and is selling them at the gig...and the
circle goes on. This scene is different to all night
party fund raisers. But at the bottom line kids are
making something happen for themselves rather than
being lame consumers of the next madonna cd, crossing
the divide of those who are 'allowed' to be artists by
sanction of big companies 'cos they will make huge
profit, and those (the majority of society) who are
only allowed to watch.

Nothing proposed here is different to the 1in 12 club
at which Nick and I put on gigs for a number of years.
Not that means we have to be same, of course, but just
mentioned it to highlight practice else where..

It would be good to get this resolved on Monday before
we build the stage.