[matilda] Re[4]: gig costs vs party costs - was - proposal for wed 'events' meeting

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:24:29 BST 2005

Helen> Not all gigs will use a large PA - some will just use
Helen> a vocal PA - So essentially all they will be using is
Helen> electricity and the space.

What's a vocal PA?

Helen> Does that PA price include all the leads and
Helen> microphones????

It was a guessitmate - not an exact figure.

Helen> 1) Who will manage/ look after this PA?

We will. One of the big hassles with PAs is finding somewhere to store
them. This is not an issue at Matilda.

Helen> 2) Who will turn up to every event to do the sound?

Well someone has to do it whether hired or bought. If there's no one
to do sound I can't see how a gig can go ahead.

Helen> 3)I cant imagine every gig collective understanding
Helen> how a PA system works. Who will show them?

Hmmm. I thought the gig collective was the Matilda folk putting on the
gigs. This is sounding like no Matilda folk will be present at some
gigs????

Basically this problem seems the same whether we use a bought PA or a
hired one - unless of course the PA hire includes a soundman too. We
could always find someone (and pay them) or learn ourselves - in the
spirit of DIY. I know someone who would probably help in training
folk.

Helen> 4) How do you suggest paying for this PA - running a
Helen> bar at a c90 event or perhaps having a big free
Helen> party???

Well so far we seem to be making money at each event so if the will is
there I think we could do it.

You sound somewhat reluctant though I'm not quite sure why.
Economically it seems like good sense, except if it is only going to
get used occasionally.

How often you reckon we would have gigs that need a PA? Is my
suggestion of once a week or even once a fortnight way over the top?

steve