[matilda] defining...

gavin at cyber-rights.net gavin at cyber-rights.net
Wed Sep 21 22:00:02 BST 2005

Here's the common place's defining statement. Just food for
thought:

Welcome to the Common Place. But what is it?

The Common Place is an independent, collectively - run social
centre. It is called 'the Common Place' because we want a place
that we can share; where we can talk about and take action on
'common' issues affecting many of us. It is run entirely by
volunteers - nobody gets paid, and nobody is making any profit.
Instead, our aim is to create a place in the city centre that
rebuilds some of the things that have been lost in our lives - a
sense of community, affordable food and entertainment, a place to
relax, talk, meet or find information on many issues affecting our
lives.

The Common Place is run horizontally - that means without leaders
or hierarchies but by it's members for its members. There is no
"executive". The weekly member's meetings on a Thursday are the
sole decision making body. There are a number of collectives within
the Common Place who have responsibility for different areas (such
as the cafôUbookshop, maintenance, art) that have open meetings and
their own finances. But these collectives are ultimately answerable
to the weekly meetings.

Anyone who likes the above can apply to become a member.

An atmosphere of tolerance and respect is of the utmost importance
here. Any kind of discriminatory, aggressive or violent behaviour
is not welcome. The Common Place is open to all individuals to use,
but representational political parties, profit-focused or
repressive organisations may not use the space.

This is an inclusive place where we ask members and guests to
respect diversity. We want everyone to feel comfortable here.

Enjoy this space. If you want to get involved in helping run the
centre, come along to the weekly organizing meetings on Thursdays
at 8pm.