[matilda] Literary workstation

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 23 10:45:38 BST 2005

Hi amp n others

Amp - you say:

"I can see that you stick to your old ideas.

"Don't ignore the Literary Workstation, unless you are doing it
deliberately? Ignoring what we're trying to do in the same building?

"interesting...
---

Do you really and truly think that anyone would actually deliberately ignore you
or your ideas??? Aw, come on! And you can be very spiky, can't you? "I can see
that you stick to your old ideas...?" Hah! Yes, very set in my ways.

As with Gavin's seminars, there's a whole load of overlap with different stuff
in the building - the idea's been floating about of creating a little leaflet
or programme for the coming months, to get others in... that's *definitely* a
joint project.

One thing we didn't get into the list of MATILDA elements that I'd really love
to see there is *open source*.  This means no ownership, open collaboration -
but always recognition and acknowledgement of others' work.

Most importantly, it means than an environment is created where ideas can evolve
openly.

Good reading on the subject by someone on another list not far from here -

http://charlieharvey.org.uk/cgi-bin/writings.pl?seen=1&uid=23

I'm particularly fond of the aim of original GNU project -

To build "a completely free operating system, or to die trying."

That's the spirit!

So no Amp - I'm not deliberately ignoring you.  I'm being my usual "I'm going to
write a gzillion e-mails about ideas I've got, of which maybe one half of one
might ever happen" in the hope that anyone else doing anything else who's
interested will come bounding along going "AAAugh! I'm doing this thing! Your
thing's a bit similar! We could do this-or-this!  Yak! How exciting!
AAAAUGHhh*Bleeuuurgh!* Sorry, I've just been sick on your shoes!"

Equally, I could say, 'well, I've discovered my thing's so similar that I should
just help to support yours.'  But we don't know that yet, coz we haven't
talked.

Presume the best in people, I'd say - at least people at MATILDA.  It makes life
nicer.

love

Dan

p.s. Just discovered Wanda the Fish on Ubuntu.  Cooool! Latest pieces of
wisdom:

"Save energy: be apathetic."
"Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life."
"Never be led astray onto the path of virtue."
"You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way."
"Your boyfriend takes chocolate from strangers."