[matilda] (dis)approval of collectives?

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 11:29:31 GMT 2006

One of the things touched on in last nights meeting, though far from
resolved, was the fact that new collectives should be approved.

Whether this is necessary is highly questionable. The reasons seemed
to be that if there was no selection process any group could just turn
up and demand a key to the space (at the moment each collective is
entitled to one key). Another reason was that a group with different
politics to us might use the space.

So far such senarios seem extremely unlikey. Matilda has been running
since June and the only collectives formed have been by people already
using the space. There appears to be an informal selection process at
work whether we're conscious of it or not.

However if we were to have a formal selection process the question
raised is: what criteria would be used to judge new groups? On what
basis would we decide whether they're in or out?

Well aside from the fact that engaging in such a process might be
undesirable in itself I can't actually think of any. One person
suggested that he wouldn't want the space used by say a Labour Party
group. Ignoring the fact that the chances of this happening are
extremely slim I also wonder would this even matter? It might even be
a good thing since there'd almost certainly be some stimulating
debates and who knows one day they might have some influence in the
council to stop an eviction?

So at the moment I propose that we suspend the idea of approval of new
collectives and simply say that new collectives should introduce
themselves at a Monday meeting and then leave them to get on with it.

Should Matilda be inundated neo nazi and paedophile collectives then
at such time we could think about approving new collectives. But
unless this becomes a problem then I think we're just wasting our
time. We've survived for 6 months without a selection process and what
we need is more not less new groups. Any kind of selection process
adds to our bureaucracy which stifles creativity and spontaneity and
puts up an unnecessary barrier to potential new groups.

The only criteria I think is necessary for now is that all collectives
must be made up of 2 or more people.

steve

Independent grassroots news: www.sheffield.indymedia.org.uk