[matilda] being clear that no-one speaks for everyone

Becky noborders123 at onetel.com
Mon Jun 26 09:03:01 BST 2006

I've only just seen that the letter to Jan Wilson is on the website and to
me it reads as if it is an agreed statement from Matilda - which as far as
I'm aware it isn't.
In particular "We wish to apologize for borrowing the empty building and
using it for such unsavoury purposes as free and affordable arts and
activist space for the people of Sheffield and the UK" is a sentence that I
wouldn't want to be reproduced in media coverage of the eviction.
Ironic or not I'd rather we didn't have an apology as our 'statement'.
If the author isn't happy to change the whole letter to 'I' then perhaps a
qualifying statement could be added to the effect that 'The following letter
is from one of the persons unknown at 111 Matilda Street.  It is part of the
non-hierarchical structure that no one speaks for anyone but themselves'.
Obviously if it was from a few this could be said.
Sorry I don't have the technical skills to do this - if anyone with the
skills agrees this addition would be acceptable you could add it.

Did everyone get out last night?
Does anyone want to post to the list the public info on what is happening in
the next 24 hours?

Thanks
Becky