[matilda] being clear that no-one speaks for everyone

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Jun 26 10:09:29 BST 2006

Quoting Becky <noborders123 at onetel.com>:

> I've only just seen that the letter to Jan Wilson is on the website and to
> me it reads as if it is an agreed statement from Matilda - which as far as
> I'm aware it isn't.

I think it went through at a meeting ( not a monday one, but a post section 6
daily meeting. )  I wasn't at it though so cannot say for sure.

> In particular "We wish to apologize for borrowing the empty building and
> using it for such unsavoury purposes as free and affordable arts and
> activist space for the people of Sheffield and the UK" is a sentence that I
> wouldn't want to be reproduced in media coverage of the eviction.
> Ironic or not I'd rather we didn't have an apology as our 'statement'.

I see its been changed to "I" and the words "personal statement" added above.

I hope this mitigates your sensitivities ;-)

>... It is part of the
> non-hierarchical structure that no one speaks for anyone but themselves'.

surely though we can mandate spokespeople to represent our views.. Maybe we can
take this up later ;-)  I wish i had made some of the anarchic theory group
meetings now.

> Did everyone get out last night?
> Does anyone want to post to the list the public info on what is happening in
>
> the next 24 hours?

yes please !

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily