[matilda] 2 YF things

cuthbert at riseup.net cuthbert at riseup.net
Thu Mar 23 15:05:11 GMT 2006

If it is true that yf are coming around to check out the health and safety
of the building then i think we could be making a big mistake by letting
them in.  If we confess to all the things we are doing in the building it
will only increase the chances that they will consider the building to be
too great a health and safety risk to have open.

If we want to let in the public (and have gigs, gatherings and film
nights) we would need licenses and to have licences we would have to
invite in several different agencies (e.g. the fire service) to have a
look around.  I dont think that we have much chance to find the money to
carryout the improvements that they would ask for.  We would probably have
to replace all our old doors with brand new fire doors with door closers
on them (a fire door costs over £100 by the way).  It is also highly
likely that health and safety would shut down the cafe.

This is where it would be usefull if people asked the common place about
their recent experiences with dealing with the authorities, i did and that
is why i think my opinion is based on rational thought, it is not paranoid
"cloak and dagger" stuff.  Further, to add to this knowledge we had the
fireservice come around to my place of residence last week which has added
to knowledge on these things.

In my opinion the more information that we give to yf the more likely they
are going to want to shut us down.  I think that our major challenge will
not be we can talk the talk to yf but whether we can delay yf and if in
the meantime we can do enough work on the building to make it ship shape.

However i would still like to know more about the yf visit and the health
and safety regulations they are judging us on.

from
cuthbert