[sas-announce] Radical, Campaigning Student Movement

Heather Shaw centre_stage_red at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 14:38:23 GMT 2007

How do we get a radical, campaigning student movement?
  A day of political discussion, training and planning for student activists organised by Education Not for Sale, No Sweat and Students Against Sweatshops. Come and join other student activists to discuss how can we argue for, organise for and campaign for radical ideas in the student movement.

Sunday 14th January 11.30-3.30pm, TGWU Transport House, Theobalds Road, Holborn, London  Sessions will include:

  - International workers’ solidarity: speakers include Amrah Johnson, from United Students Against Sweatshops in San Francisco talking about her recent visit to the Kenyan labour movement

- Grants for all vs means-tested grants, and the politics of “Tax the rich” with ENS
- The Radical Students Network introduces itself

- How to organise an occupation and direct actions, with the Radical Students Network and Cambridge ENS

- Planning session for the No Sweat anti-sweatshop week of action on campuses, 12-18 February

- Building and spreading living wage campaigns: speakers about living wage campaigns at universities around the country

- Building a left challenge in NUS

- Planning session for Feminist Fightback abortion rights march on 3 March (women-only)

- Solidarity with students and workers in Iran

  For more information email sacha at workersliberty.org.uk or ring 07815 490 837

  All welcome

"Years ago I recognised my kinship with living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free"
Eugene Debs, US Presidential Candidate 1920

www.redheff.livejournal.com