[SSC] Notes from our meeting on 10th October 2011

Terry Wassall T.Wassall at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 09:31:42 UTC 2011

Belated apologies for not being able to make the meeting. Reading Joss's note makes me even more dissappointed to miss it. I will not be able to come to weekday evening meetings but hope to make it to some Saturday meetings.

I think the use of scholar is particularly appropriate. In my School we have recently won a struggle to distinguish between 'discovery' research (i.e. REF research) and 'scholarship' research. The practical significance of this is that in the past study leave was not available for scholarship research in my School and there was no allowance for it in Teaching Fellows' workloads. There is no doubt that the growing recognition of the importance of curriculum amd module development, teaching and the student experience has helped enormously to win this position. It is also closer to what students do and so helps rethink the relationship between teaching and learning and teacher and learner - we start with a process of collaborative scholarship and move towards a process of collaborative research. I guess there is nothing much new here for student as producer!

Best wishes

Terry

Dr. Terry Wassall
Principal Teaching Fellow