[SSC] Maps and politics of 'radical education projects'

Richard Hall RHall1 at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 07:55:50 UTC 2011

A note of caution - Taggart has also written for New Public Thinkers at:
http://newpublicthinkers.org/?p=35 I think that this was a weak
assessment of the left, based on traditional/orthodox narratives of the
state and capital. This lack of an engagement in the history/critique of
the left/radical leftist politics is asserted again in the link Sarah
posts below, which at a trivial level basis its criticism on freedom,
based on the use of "free" (as in monetary value) in the title of these
"anarchist" schools. In part, this may be the case, but in part it is a
reaction to Gove's definition of free schools.

The list is interesting. The Third University, for example, aims to
deliver #coffeelols [see me in the pub for an explanation] and to be the
third best university in Leicester. Maybe it's radical. Maybe it is a
piss-take. Maybe it is an outlet for some people in Leicester. Maybe it
is educational. Maybe it is what you want it to be. Is it really
anarchist? Maybe it needs to be kettled first, so we find out.

I like David's suggestion of a symposium - perhaps a pulling together of
these radical projects/forms.

In solidarity.

R.