[Ssf] Re: Last meeting (the immediate future)

robin&amparo robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 15:19:15 GMT 2004

> So, while a wrong certainly needs to be recognised and corrected for the
> future, I think that the idea of an 'us' deserving an explanation from
> 'them' unnecessarily and inaccurately divides the group. The social
> forum movement is a constellation of connections, temprorarily made -
> today we are the people on the mailing list, on thursday we might have
> been the people in the room, tomorrow we might be the world, who knows?
> If people have expectations of the social forum then they should bring
> them into the forum, explicitly raise them, and share in the task of
> bringing them to fruition if the momentary connection that creates the
> group feels that it is within its power.

Yes, Kev, i understand all this is small-scale, testing-pilot trials and
relations, and obviously three or four persons cannot be charged with
keeping the place opened when it suits other persons but not themselves
because they may be very tired after all the campaigning done previously
in the year. The modest "us" only involved me and Chris, who were as far
as it has been told, the only daring souls to face the winds in that
dark night.
The explanation has already been given in this email list, but a notice
seems to be appropriate in the future.
A yearly luncheon (see Alice's note too) could be great means to
communicate and meet other persons. Yet moving to the city centre would
be again moving away from the suburbs...
Yet, if for any reason (this i would like to know in advance, before
committing myself more) some grass-root sheffielders wanted to meet and
gather in the ssf place available at the moment, what would be the right
procedure to follow? Whom and how do i ask, if for instance, following
meeting the Latin group tonight (Saturday from 8 pm to midnight, around
three pounds the concert & all, at the Broom hall centre, near Sheffield
University tram stop) some kind of meeting SSF members is proposed by me
to them??
Because the telephone numbers beign publisiced for other persons to
contact SSF never give an answer, so it looks like poorly structured
(Outreach).
Yet appointing or self-appointing a "treasurer", a secretary, a pot
boiler etc as established posts does not sound well either, imho.

I mean, does the SSF as a shapeless unstructured potential, understand
the need for inclusion, eg for including Latin women living in Sheffield
for instance? They are raising the issue of domestic violence or
domestic abuse... Would this forum be prepared to back up anything done
in that respect?

Well if i get a good answer to these questions, i will feel much more
reassured in my trust towards persons like Alice, Dan, Kev, Cuthbert,
Chris whom i failed to meet last meeting, Dave, Mozaz, 2% Human, Jase,
and others...

Amparo