[ssf] rage against Hallam

Who ate who_ate_my_shoes at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 17:14:55 GMT 2005

I am a student at Hallam who is concerned about your planned protest against
us moving into a new union building. I tried to attend your meeting last
week to express my opinion but was unable.

This is a really important issue but you have to be careful about targeting
the wrong people. The event on the 14th is the student’s opening night, it
is separate from the University as it is a Union event. Most of the students
who have organised and will attend this event were not even in Sheffield
when the decision to purchase the NCPM took place. They were not responsible
for the purchase but now they have no choice but to use the facilities
provided for them by the University, I think it is unfair therefore to make
their Valentines day celebration the focus of a “Rage full” protest.

The Hallam Union president in an interview in the Star talked about a desire
to make the new building available to all the community. Wouldn't it be more
constructive to take him up on this offer and work with the students who are
going to bring an estimated 500,000 people into the Cultural Industry
Quarter.

What makes me so angry is that there is a building in this area being
misused and that is Spearmint Rhino. I fail to see why this feudalist
abomination is not the focus of your protest instead of Hallam students.