[ssf] Rage Against Hallam

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:14:33 GMT 2005

The degree of separation between universities and students' unions is an
interesting issue. Especially since the Education Act, 1994, students'
unions have been legally owned by their respective universities, and
cannot, for instance, adjust their own policies and constitutions if the
  parent universities refuse to permit them do so so. On
representational issues, universities tend to be circumspect about
interference with students unions, as there is still a sleeping giant in
the students movement which ahs just not been awakened for a while.
However, it might be worth finding out what the relationship was between
your union and university on these property deals, and to what extent
having the university finance and arrange the transfer of premises your
union is undertaling is on the union's independence. Is the union going
to pay rent on the NCPM buildings, if so then clearly it is heavily tied
to the university and if not surely that makes the union more like a
department of the university than a body whose key role is oppositional.
It might be worth considering seriously whether having this new facility
empowers your students' union or restricts it; don't forget that the key
role of a students' union should be to ensure that the student body is
represented to the university, and that students remain a key priority
for universities at a time when commercial operations threaten to take
the administrations focus away. Also, if your university generates this
sort of resentment in the local community, it will very likely be
reflected back at students: have you considered looking into the issues
around the NCPM purchase thoroughly, and deciding whether as a student
you would actually like to join the campaign?

Chris