[ssf] G8 - openness and planning thoughts...

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 25 12:06:43 GMT 2005

> The people who flew planes
> into the world trade towers did it for other people, does this put
the
> responsibility on us to defend them?
>
> I don't understand why you are referring to something i have not
referred to... it makes my words confusing.

Just as an example of people who use violence in the name of others,
taken to an extreme I admit, but where do you draw the line? That is
why education in NVDA is important for protests, although what you
would consider violence (people, property, verbal) is a flexible thing.
So maybe an absolutist view of peace is impossible.

> " if peace is to be
> our policy then I think that at least should be absolute."

HA! I fail my own argument (well it was late:)

Anyway on to the protest, it makes it easier to liase with the police
with the route of a demonstration, they are usually quite relaxed about
this... they are the people to speak to so once a route has been
decided on for a demo someone needs to contact them. I am happy to do
this as have done it before.

The important thing as always is that there is space for all to do as
they wish, and space to discuss and argue what route is 'most effective'
. I would be dissapointed with a normal sullen marching demo, but one
with noise, and communication to the people on the streets through
leaflets and talking, and music and clowns and art and so on, a
carnival atmosphere would be my preference, but then some people like
shouting, have to say I used to! Need to do something to let off steam,
so space for all is needed (think that is the point of SSF?)

Cheers,

Jason