[ssf] Fw: Action about ANTI SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR ORDERS

noone noone machinevman at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:15:01 GMT 2005

  Prison, youth detention centres and 'local authority holding units' are
incredibly expensive, in some cases it is cheaper to send the offender to
eaton and buy them a yacht - it would probably be more effective in reducing
re-offending rates as well.  Prison is also a very blunt tool in trying to
stop people from committing crime and they often end up being 'universities
of crime' so i think that there is a case for having a 'half-way house' (for
want of a better word) and allowing the offender to try to reform and change
their behavoir before they go to prison.  Speaking from a personal
perspective i was once given the chance to prosecute all the way and try to
send some people to prison or 'let them off', sometimes i wish that
something like anti-social behavoir orders (or another type of non-prison
punishment) exsisted and that way they would have got another chance and i
would be able to continue with my life.

Whats more when i read down the list of reasons to oppose ASBOs some of them
seem like they arent totally water tight e.g.
>>4.      The government is increasing the use of Asbos, despite the fact
>>that
>>there is no evidence that they work. Home Office figures show that at
>>least
>>one third of Asbos are breached.

I could turn that statistic around and say that 2/3 of ASBOs arent breached
and therefore could be seen as successfull(!)  I think that it is too early
to tell if they have worked or not, i think any policy needs a good few
years to tell if it successfull.

further:
>>2.      Asbos are a punitive measure that can criminalise people for
>>behaviour
>>that is not criminal, and often imposed only on the basis of hearsay
>>evidence.

Sometimes behavoir does not have to be criminal to be unpleasant and make
peoples lives a misery, that is why in *some* cases it is good idea to have
a way of not allowing certain people to go to certain areas etc...  On the
issue of hearsay evidence, often that is because the victim is too scared to
give evidence so there is always another side of the coin.

If i were to argue against ASBOs then i would comment on how they are being
used for an increasing amount of circumstances, for example i heard one was
used again a farmer to stop his sheep from tresspassing, and i would argue
that it is innapropriate to use the same peice of legislation against
farmers as against serious/dangerous criminals who vandalise cars/houses and
assult others.

If people want to discuss the value of ASBOs i would suggest the democracy
cafe as oppose to the next ssf meeting.  Unfortunatly i doubt i am going to
be able to make it, i have to shovel some s**t (yes literally!).

If i were part of a civil liberties group then there are far more important
things that i would campaign on e.g. prison reform, crimes that are "taken
into consideration" i.e. not actually solved and the power of the police
federation.

for now
cuthbert