[Ssf] Dictionaries are wonderful sources of fun.

robin&amparo robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 19:16:51 GMT 2005

Some friends are creating a language site for fun, including metaphors
in spoken or common everyday English usage (and other languages),
phrases which sound funny to a foreign ear 'cos they appear to show
double meanings. Obviously for sex, but also, look at these ones:

To be someone's spitting image
(imagine your image spitting at you from mirrors or ponds)

Or even better:
To be someone's dead spit

These might include proverbs and sayings like "killing two birds with
the same stone" (something efficient), to kill the hen that lays the
eggs has quite a reasonable double or metaphorical meaning so it would
not be suitable...
..Or small "fictional" etymologies and word histories: how "spitting"
derives from "splitting" (which might be the truth in fact, not only
witty brainstorming)...

...How old papers where made from rags, that's they were called the Rag,
because it was poor quality paper: The Rag and Boneman would come down
on horse and cart calling on the householders to bring out their rags
and bones for the knackers yard (to boil the bones down for glue).

..There would be thus a space for testing creative ideas such as
suggested elsewhere by people.

.. If the leftie rag would include funny stuff and quotations from dead
celebrities (such as Adam Smith, Marx and their families) I would be
glad to give a hand in the project. Has this issue been included in the
agenda? It is important. You might get closer ties with persons by
having them or their URLs quoted on the rag, if it gets any wide
readership.

Marketing and sales ideas could also be tested: are we addressing "the
working classes" (then add  the description of a pub's night meeting by
mozaz, say), are we addressing children and penniless youth? (??) are we
addressing parents?"
or just politically organizing minds? Or aren't readers made up of all
these parts?

R&A
(The Sun entering Aquarius)