[ssf] Draft minutes 20th January

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Jan 21 14:57:46 GMT 2005

Hi!

Could folks who attended please comment on the folllowing minutes, and
let me know of any changes / anything I missed.

Web version here:

http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Meetings#Minutes:_20th_January_2005

Minutes: 20th January 2005

*Rage Against Hallam*

http://www.rage-against-hallam.co.uk/

The campaign leader spoke to us:

There's a planned televised rally on

Monday 14th February (the day it opens to students!)

...to protest against the loss of the centre to Hallam, Hallam's nasty
tactics and the fact that it cost the public £20M, whereas Hallam paid
£1.4M for it. ("Can we have our money back please?")

ACTION: To discuss and plan our role in the rally action at the next SSF
meeting.

Already possible: Samba Band, fire-spinning, 'can we have our money back
please', valentines day - 'we love our centre! Why did it leave us!?'

Also: as part of power analysis workshop, to trace the links between the
various boards involved... CIQA, Yorkshire Futures, Council, Hallam, etc...

    * Ideas please for next meeting, and on this list!*

*Communication, forward planning, getting people, and a big meeting...*

These all tie together into a, um, STRATEGY!

Communication

   1. The announcements list to be regularly done, shortly after a
meeting. (Dan or Jase is doing this for now: I'll do this one? Any other
volunteers?)
   2. Indymedia: Adam to cross-post announcements etc to Indymedia
   3. Website - we didn't get round to this! But needs to be worked out.
   4. Dan: to work out a little comms chart just showing which things
need doing when - for the big meeting, so we can try to get volunteers.
   5. Next meeting: we'll look at the Seeds for Change doc on publicity!

Related is -

Newsletter

   1. To set a print date for a first filthy radical newsletter
   2. To tie this to a writing workshop
   3. Will contain stories (e.g. Burngreave, Hallam, G8, Action and PiP
strike me as initial stories... front cover: maybe again, 'Switch off
yer TV set... Sheffield gets radical in 2005...)
   4. And also listings of events for the coming months...
   5. Dan: to arrange a meeting specifically to discuss this proposal
   6. Everyone: proposed names? Sheffield Digger? The Hardcopy?

*Big Open Meeting, 17th February!*

   1. We're to have a Big Open Meeting, Thurs 17th February (venue tbc)
   2. Aim: Sheffield 2005 - come and find out what you can do this year!
With lots of info, not only from SSF, but e.g. PiP, Lantern Festival,
Spital Hill Local Voice, Rage Againt Hallam and whoever else we can get
- a free market of things to get involved in!
   3. Dan: drafting publicity
   4. Alice: checking on Broomhall Centre
   5. Dan: Checking on the Drum
   6. Everyone: to think about how the meeting might be structured, and
bring ideas to next meeting
   7. Everyone: to help get publicity out, and tell people. (Will let
you know when it's done!)

*No2ID visit*

Adam is facilitating a visit from a NO2ID campaigner from London.

It's going to be next Tuesday 25th, but I don't know what time! Some
people are sorting it out off-list

*Peace in the Park n SSF*

   1. Speakeasy: a much more ambitious version of last year's democracy
cafe: SSF to organise this space for political stuff, with New Roots
(nearly confirmed), debates, poetry, (music?) - as to the content,
that's now open to the SSF in the usual way! It'll basically be a
mini-informal-forum
   2. Peace tent: a tent for positive, peaceful solutions, to fit in
with the festival: NVDA / mediation etc - for the G8 lead-up, and for
things like subvertising training.
   3. Youth: Again, possibly a separate tent - involving 13-18 year olds
through the government's very own J8 programme, a leading them to PiP
where we can do something like a youth parliament. (J8 will be taking a
manifesto they've written to present to the J8 leaders.) Thoughts?
(Note: they'll just happen to be next to the NVDA tent... hope none of
them stray... :) )
   4. Yoof2: when DECSY get info packs, work with others (SMPH and P&P)
on going into schools to get the debate going, and get kids planning for
PiP.

*Sharrow Lantern Festival*

It's happening! 3rd April!

As part of the 'Big Open Meeting' (BOM!) we've asked 'em to come and
make lanterns, rope people in to taking more part in events... (not
literally!)

*Burngreave Masterplan*

'Housing Renewal Pathfinder' scheme being challenged by local people:
it's a democratic black hole!

   1. Petition being handed in to council 2nd Feb
   2. ACTION and publicity event on day! Can SSF help with planning an
action for this too? Would have to do this on list!
   3. Proposed questionnaire, and community participation and research
plan forming: meeting with Housing bod David Shepherd to happen soon.

(Note: Dan is re-starting the SSF research group as part of this. List
will be going again soon...)

*Make Poverty History*

   1. Had big meeting this week
   2. 1 year focus for trade justice
   3. Aim: to stop dependency on aid, to rid world of poverty through
fair trade & trade justice.
   4. Coaches going to Gleneagles on 1st July, coming back 2nd July.
   5. 25 unwaged / £30 waged / £70 if staying over: phone Keith Burdett
on 0114 2364353
   6. This is week before conference... need to find out more about why!
Will need to make other arrangements if people want to to and protest
during actual event, which is July 6th - 8th.

*Next Meeting...*

Thursday 3rd Feb New Roots, Spital Hill

Preliminary goals:

   1. a bit of meeting, facilitation and workshop training discussion
based on the Seeds for Change documents. (Dan has printed a load of these.)
   2. Plan Hallam action
   3. Plan big open meeting

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.