[ssf] Re: BBC: On the Fiddle Programme

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Wed Jan 18 09:44:10 GMT 2006

Chris Malins writes:

> Isn't it possible that the programme could give the impression that the
> government is experiencing some success with combatting benefit fraud, and
> therefore encourage people to feel a little more positive about benefits,
> and to believe that cheats are being dealt with. I think its only fair to
> check out the way they present it first.
>
> Chris

Yeah it's *possible*, thus it would be good to track down a copy to find
out. The problem is that all the focus is on benefit fraud, this programme
and others and successive news stories. People see the cheats being dealt
with, and if they are more informed know about plans to give people the
choice of "back into the workplace or we'll cut your benefits". People do
not see the story of the 98% of people on benefits who are not fraudulent
and have great difficulties with both life and a system which operates on a
basis of mistrust.

Jason