[ssf] pulp fiction ii :: unicorn variations i

adam basid adam at diamat.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 13:51:25 BST 2007

                  split in to two groups please ...

                  yes, that's right ...

                  even groups please ...

                  no not you lot together again ...

                  gentlemen, i use the term loosely ...

                  you will skew the statistics ...

                  you will make your group odd ...

                  and you, yes you two ...

                  if you would just disentangle yourselves
                  for a little while ...

                  there, oh yes there, there do we have it ...

                  does it feel strange, the separation ...

                  like swimming in air you say...

                  no you can stay in the same group if you wish ...

                  wait, you may skew the statistics ...

                  but stay together you may ...

                  but do do the puzzle by yourselves ...

                  remember this is a experiment

                  no winners, no losers

                  so copying need no please ...

                  yes,
                  there we have it ...

                  two lines ...

                  roll up,
                  roll up '

           the students file past the piles
           each taking one sheet

                  'what's the story professor' -- i venture

        again over prinz-neeze professor staring --

        'i know you from somewhere,
         do i not

         wait, wait what's that spot ...
         it's very misty

         was it a dream ...
         wait it's clearing ...'

  'professor' -- i caution

        the prof continues --

        '... no, no don't tell me
         some place dense ...
         some fig-roll of my imagination mayhaps
         oh yes, that's the place ...

         parties ...

         you always appear at parties  ...

         and seldom appear in class'

   'i go to the vital ones professor ...' -- re-venturing i

    '... but what's the story balamory
       what gives with the crosswords'

        'ah that story ...'
         -- began the professor --
        'i thought you were being reflective ...
         ... the story we are testing here
         is this one:

            one is more likely to solve crosswords
            that have already been solved elsewhere'

  i went next --

  'i've heard a tale professor
   about a female monkey
   living in an island colony
   dipping fruit in to the sea
   to supplement its offspring's
   mineral diet,

   the island colony picked up this behavior first
   and then it appeared to replicate
   in various monkey colonies
   world over

   professor ...

   are you suggesting that we are monkeys'

        professor grinning batted it back to me --

        'monkeys have tales
         and let us put it this way ...

         i maybe suggesting
         that we maybe human ...

         what ever that means ...

         ... are you in a rush somewhere
         there's a question we ought to ask'

  'me professor me timeless and undesiring ...

   but a bit like a fish out of water

   all the same ...'

        professor head sadly shaking --

        'now you are in a bog elliot
         i won't keep you long
         one time-unit only
         solely the lonely
         oh fish, oh fishy
         so little matters'

    me replying nodding fishing
      dredging dark dank boots
         head laced footballs replaying --

  'aren't we all in a bog though e.t.'

        'oh fishy mayhaps you'd like
         you'd like, you like some fresh air'

        -- the professor head still shaking
        fishes in to up-turned hat
        producing two long pencils
        like poppins from her kit bag
        passes dummys one to me

  i pencil use
      out-pointing
        creamy white stain
            upon said up-turned hat

            'what's that' -- i venture

        'mmm ... rice pudding me thinks'

         -- glints the professor unabashed
            puts on dripping hat
            turning slowly now tap dansing
            twirling white secondary stain
             turquoise flaps tail strains'

  'two helpings,
     were you hungry professor'

      -- i venture

        'no not me ...'

         -- still glinting

         '... france was hungry
              i was cooking
              and i cooking slipped
              in to the cooking mix'

   'were you moonlighting then'

     -- i venture

         'well
          paid work's nice if you can get'

          -- chirps professor tap danser

         'how do i look
          do i max an x factor
          cooking pudding on my top hat
          pudding cooking on my tales'

          the professor now slowly bending under
          pun strain, begins rolling pin up
          redundant crossword
          tightly round long pencil
          nodding and leading me
          copy

          i reflect the professor's rolling
          around on the floor,
          an other re purpose puzzle

          completing pace meeting
          thick gummed long edge lick sticking
          close envelope
          held mace fist til fastened

        'snakey shakey' -- motions nows professor
                           paper-straw waggling
                           pencil ejecting

               i shakey too snakey
             popping pencil in concert