[imc-uk-emergency] Script kiddies advocating DDoS attacks

ionnek ionnek at gmx.net
Sat Mar 29 11:36:03 GMT 2003

chris,
I don't know if this is the time to reply to you about the ddos, you're so
angry.
But I'll try anyway. I'm sorry if you feel wound up by yet another ddos
intervention. It is just very important to me to consider in which ways
this technology can and can't make sense, and where the risks for indy are.

At 10:20 29/03/03, Chris Croome wrote:

>You only need one script kiddy to launch a DDoS it is _not_
>collective action.

You are right - and I just wrote a long reply to one of them. Also agree
that sabotaging the internet is in a way cutting the branch we're sitting
on. Without any positive outcome.

On the other hand, like any tool, I think DDos can also be used as an
efficient, collective political action tool. Certainly not if someone
downloads a script somewhere and posts it on indy. But kind of "half
manual" ddos attacks can make sense if they are embedded in a larger
campaign. The campaign against the Lufthansa operates on all channels. It's
basically an image pollution campaign against an airline that is
operational in deporting people. The "deportation class" uses traditional
demos on airports, they inform passengers, pilotes, stewards about the
deportation practice and also about what they can do against it. The
campaign is based on the "no one is illegal" network all over Germany,
people who help asylum seekers, lobby against racism and racist laws, go to
demos. The campaign interferes cleverly with the annual shareholder
meetings, and once, they did a ddos attack. they didn't use one strong
computer trying to bring the new lufthansa internet presence down. They
used a script that would only work if many people participated, and they
focussed on a mass participation of 13000 in their press release.
In this sense, I think ddosses can be more than just dangerous,
irresponsible script kid pranks.

As to the danger for indymedia - for some reason I'm not that worried that
indymedia gets ddos attacked. Its just not the usual target. People who
oppose indymedia, I think, would use other ways to bring us down.
For me, the danger for indymedia is always that we may be held liable for
what's posted on the newswire. We try to make clear the character of an
open platform (see ed guidelines), which is only restricted by the
editorial guidelines. But considering that they sued imc netherlands for
just providing a link to the incriminated website "radical", I guess that
we are always at risk. On the other hand, I don't want to get into a mode
of self-censorship.

it is a riddle.

Ionnek