[imc-uk-emergency] Fwd: Feature proposal & other features bits

Maqui maquis at syndicate.org.uk
Thu May 8 18:49:59 BST 2003

Hello:

reposting this mail in emergency list because i just realised features
(and all other imc list) are currently down. Sorry if you get this twice
:-0

========

- Here's a proposal for a feature about the acquittal of the Carabinieri
accused of murdering Carlo Giuliani during the events of Genoa 2001. See
feature below.
I propose to put it in front page first and then, some days later, move
it to the world page leaving a short paragraph in the front page (as we
have been doing lately with the international features)

Also:

- I propose to cut the Mayday long feature currently in front page and
move it to Major Reports page, but leaving a short paragraph in front
page linking to it. This would replace the feature "Millions March
Against the War F15" feature we have now in Major Reports, which i
propose to archive  in that page under a link called "NoWar-F15".

- Proposal to move feature "Militant Anti-War Demonstrations at EU
Summit" in Athens currently in front page to World Page.

All of which I can do tomorrow friday early afternoon.

cheers
jordi

=====================================

CARLO LIVES - NO JUSTICE NO PEACE

Legal Proceedings About The Murder Of Carlo Giuliani Closed

Photo: http://images.indymedia.org/imc/uk/72887a_b-thumb.jpg

In the afternoon of May 5th the Italian judge Elena Daloisio decided that
the enquire against Mario Placanica, the policeman of the paramilitary
police force (Carabinieri) who shot Carlo Giuliani - the young protester
at the G8 summit of Genoa 2001 - has been <a
href="http://uk.indymedia.org:8081/front.php3?article_id=67099&group=webcas
t">closed</a>. The official reason why this murder won't be prosecuted is
not only because the policeman was allegedly defending himself, but also
because under the article 53 of the Italian criminal code this is a case
of "legitimate use of weapons". This  will possibly constitute a
dangerous legal escape for any member of the security forces that in
future similar situations may commit "legalised" murder "because of
acting on duty". The Judge's decision will not only repeal all
responsibilities for the officers involved in the policing of the events
in Piazza Alimonda, but also could become an influential ruling in all
the remaining proceedings against the responsible for the repression,
illegal detentions, beatings and torture that took place during and after
the anti-G8 demonstrations of Genoa 2001.

After the Carabinieri's acquittal his lawyer happily stated that
"Placanica will go on working as a good policeman", noting that "none of
the officers of the police forces involved in this enquiry have been
found guilty or condemned", even though they have been accused of lying
or have repeatedly been trying to avoid giving testimony in court.
Meanwhile Heidi Giuliani, Carlo's mother, stated that "It is difficult
for us to comment upon this sentence right now. Although we have always
expected something like this to happen it still hurts very much. I just
want to say that we are not afraid of the truth, but others obviously
are". The Genoa Social Forum and many other Italian organisations have
declared that Genoa "has not been closed yet", whilst calling for an <a
href="http://italy.indymedia.org/news/2003/05/277608.php">international
day of protest</a> against this ruling on Saturday 10 May.

Read <a
href="http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=317517&group=webcast">

New <a
href="http://www.sherwood.it/portal/article.php?sid=3865&mode=&order=0">pho
tographic evidence</a> of Carlo's murder from <a
href="http://www.sherwood.it">Sherwood Comunicazione</a>

More info: <a href="http://italy.indymedia.org">Indymedia-Italy</a>