[imc-uk-emergency] topics pages and regional topics pages done

Vincent Bouchard societelibre at riseup.net
Sun May 11 22:26:32 BST 2003

well, just a rectification on the portland site...

what I did is inspired by this site, actually it's done in exactly the same
way... :-) the only difference being that they add "topic" in the url, or
"region", or "actions". But they have the address you gave:

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/topic/imperialism/

which is the "topic startpage", like for us
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism ,

and they also have (click on "More features" or "Newswire archive" on the
portland site)
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/topic/imperialism/feature/archive.shtml
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/topic/imperialism/newswire/archive.shtml

which are for us
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/feature/archive.html
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/newswire/archive.html .

And on both sites, if you click on a feature or an article, you reach the
normal article page, which is something like
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/2003/05/264738.html or whatever.

So the only difference is that they add in the url the subcategory of the
topics, which I think makes a lot of sense, so in my opinion we should do
that also. But it's just a matter of modifying the producers, so it's very
easy and takes only a couple of minutes.

Another difference is that we have regional topic pages on the uktest site,
which they don't have on the portland site. But I think it makes a lot of
sense to have them since we are building the network from independent local
indymedias. On the opposite, portland (as italy) treats the regions just as
topics, and the regions are not independent indymedias, so they have the same
layout and everything than the homepage.

I also agree with you that a subsection "actions" makes a lot of sense, in
which we could include for example "Evian" and "MayDay". Actually, I took
some time to look at their site also before doing the topic stuff, since it's
all done with Mir, and I think we can learn a lot and have new ideas by
looking at their site, so I recommend it to all of you!
(http://portland.indymedia.org ).

It is worth noting that they don't have the "print in pdf" and "email this
article" functions enabled, so I propose that we should comment them out
also, at least for the launch (we can then enable them later).

ciao

vince

On Sunday 11 May 2003 8:12 pm, Chris Croome wrote:
> Hi
>
> Great work Vince you are a star :-)
>
> On Sun 11-May-2003 at 01:48:40PM +0000, Vincent Bouchard wrote:
> > https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/feature/archive.html
> > https://uktest.indymedia.de/en/antimilitarism/newswire/archive.html
>
> I have just spent some time looking at the Portland site [1] and
> they have done things in a different way (I'm not saying if it's
> better or worse!), so the equiv address is:
>
>   http://portland.indymedia.org/en/topic/imperialism/
>
> All the issue topics are under /en/topic/ and all the feature and
> newswire stuff links back to addresses like this:
> /en/2003/05/264280.shtml
>
> In terms of regions they have more-or-less what we have, a list of
> local regions and also united states and global, but again in a
> sub-directory: /en/region/willamettevalley/
>
> Another thing that is different is that in addition to issue and
> region topics there is actions category with addresses like this:
> /en/action/mayday2003/ -- this seems like a great idea to me, it
> might be worth finding out how they do this, it seems a bit like the
> major reports section on the existing uk site.
>
> Personally I'd suggest addresses like this (having a year
> directory): /actions/2003/mayday/ ...if we did something like this.
>
> Chris
>

> [1] http://portland.indymedia.org/

- --
In the 1960s, a student at Harvard Law School addressed parents and alumni
with these words:

The streets of our country are in turmoil. The universities are filled with
students rebelling and rioting. Communists are seeking to destroy our
country. Russia is threatening us with her might. And the republic is in
danger. Yes! danger from within and without. We need law and order! Without
law and order our nation cannot survive.

There was prolonged applause. When the applause died down, the student quietly
told his listeners: "These words were spoken in 1932 by Adolf Hitler."

from Howard Zinn's Declarations of Independence

ZOMBIE - Zone Ouverte de Mobilisation pour Briser les Inégalités et Exclusions

http://zombie.lautre.net