[imc-uk-emergency] Lot of new stuff done...

Vincent Bouchard societelibre at riseup.net
Mon May 12 03:39:57 BST 2003

First, sorry about this very long email... had many technical things to say,
unfortunately the indymedia lists are down so it goes to the emergency
list... :-)

Ok I've done a lot of new stuff on uktest tonight, according to Chris's
comments about the portland site and other ideas.

First, there are now three sections: regions, issues (thematic topics) and
actions. "Actions" are the former "Major Reports", but they now form a
different section than topics. We thought that it would be better because
then we can see the different events on the front page (see
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en ), for example for now "May Day 2003" and
"Evian G8". Like the topics pages, if you click on May Day, you reach a topic
startpage including features and newswire articles talking about May Day, and
you can access with "More Features" and "Newswire archive" the archives of
articles about May Day. To add a topic in the action section, just set
archiv_url at "action" in the admin section. Again, there are also
corresponding regional pages. For example, from the oxford page
(http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/region/oxford ), you can access the May Day
Oxford page that gives only the features and newswire articles talking about
May Day *and* from Oxford (from the Oxford database), and also access the
features and newswire Oxford May Day archives. So the regional sites are
again completely independent for the action subsection (actually technically
the action and the issue subsections are equivalent, they are generated from
the same templates, topicpage.template, topicnewswirearchive.template and
topicfeaturearchive.template). If you don't like this idea (which comes from
the Portland site, http://portland.indymedia.org ), it is always possible to
go back, but I personnally thought it was important to separate the events
from the thematic topics since it is not the same thing after all... :-)

But more importantly is that all the links have changed now. Because we now
have issues, regions and actions, I thought that it was important to
differentiate between the urls of these sections (like they do in portland).
So now, the regional urls are *not* anymore
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/oxford, but rather
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/region/oxford. Also, for an issue, it is
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/issue/indymedia , and for an action
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/action/mayday . For a regional issue, it would
be for example http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/region/oxford/issue/indymedia,
and accordingly for a regional action. I think it makes the distinction
between regions, issues and actions much clearer. The UK templates and the
Oxford templates have now all the links according to these new urls. So
please don't use the old urls, because you'll be confused since these pages
are not updated anymore! (so be careful not to use
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/sheffield but rather
http://uktest.indymedia.de/en/region/sheffield since it is the updated one
and the other one will not be generated anymore). Again if you think it was
better before we can go back... Anyway I suppose that the regions will use
http://region.indymedia.org.uk for their urls, so we will have to redirect
all that later.

I also commented out the functions "print as pdf" and "email this article"
since they didn't work. Zapata (a Mir coder) told me it wasn't hard to make
them work, so I suppose when he has time we can arrange them, but it's not a
big deal and we don't need them to launch the site. Also I commented out the
G8 call banner, since it wasn't linked to anything... If someone knows what
this banner is supposed to be linked too we can put it back... :-)

I also cleaned all the oxford templates and replaced all the "oxford" with
"${region.filename}" (actually I couldn't replace all of them because it
didn't work in the <include> functions). However, what it means is that we
can now copy the whole oxford subdirectory to any other region and this other
regional setup is complete. It is then sufficient for them to change the
stylesheet to modify the layout of all their regional pages. So I suppose we
should ask clearly which region is ready to be online, and if they are, we
copy the oxford subdirectory to their region and ask them to customize the
stylesheet if they want (with our help indeed to explain how the stylesheet
works...).

I also thought about something: as it was proposed, the World section should
be separated in some sort from the regions. I thought it could be grouped
with an "opinion" or "lifestyle" section, where we put the articles that are
non-news but opinions, and an "announcement" section, i.e. the article types
we didn't know what to do with. Then we would have as article types:
newswire, features (features that can be regional but that also appear on the
uk page), topic-special, startpage-special, public thrash, Pre-MIR features
(couldn't it be only features?), and regional features (regional features
that do not appear on the uk page, so for the very local stuff). Then we
would also have a fourth type of topics, I don't know how to call it, that
would include world, opinions (lifestyle, non-news stuff), announcements, and
other stuff that are not issues, neither actions, neither regions of UK. So
people that publish on the newswire could select their article to be an
opinion, an announcement or a world stuff, and we could exclude from the
front page newswire the postings classified as announcements and opinions (or
maybe not, maybe also exclude the world announcements to remove the global
spam), they would go directly in these sections. Technically it is quite easy
to do I think. I don't know what you think about it... am not sure myself...
:-)

So I think the whole site is almost ready to be online. The remaining tasks
before the launch: we have to arrange some stuff on the publish pages, but we
have to wait for zapata to put his new codes (he should do that this week he
said). We also have to set up the RSS feeds and redirect the urls (with the
help of the script zapata is supposed to have.. :-) ), finish the static
documents and put them online, decide which regions are ready to be online
and copy the oxford files to their subdirectory (or let them do their own
layout from scratch but no one seems to be working on that now apart from
sheffield), and finish the design of the uk site (banner and colors). Also we
have to decide finally the open publishing system we use and set it up, which
shouldn't be too complicated technically (if we use the dutch system we only
have to create a public thrash, everything else is already set up I think).
There is of course a lot of other specific stuff to do (for example improve
the search function, ...), but I don't think they are necessary for the
launch.

Finally, to ionnek, the publish button is on the right on the startpage! I put
it on the left of all the other pages because there are no right column and I
thought it was important that the publish button be on all the pages, but we
can remove it from all these pages if you prefer. But on any pages where
there is a newswire (i.e. a right column), the publish button is above it on
the right. Is this fine?

I also agree that most of the decisions should be taken after the launch when
we have a face-to-face network meeting and people know how Mir works, how the
site looks like and all. Then it will be easy to discuss concrete stuff about
it and improve and change everything as the United Kollektives decide.

ok am going to bed now, sorry about this long email! :-)

ciao

vince

- --
In the 1960s, a student at Harvard Law School addressed parents and alumni
with these words:

The streets of our country are in turmoil. The universities are filled with
students rebelling and rioting. Communists are seeking to destroy our
country. Russia is threatening us with her might. And the republic is in
danger. Yes! danger from within and without. We need law and order! Without
law and order our nation cannot survive.

There was prolonged applause. When the applause died down, the student quietly
told his listeners: "These words were spoken in 1932 by Adolf Hitler."

from Howard Zinn's Declarations of Independence

ZOMBIE - Zone Ouverte de Mobilisation pour Briser les Inégalités et Exclusions

http://zombie.lautre.net