[Project-fallujah] Re: Motion to Council WAS Re: [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] The White Rose

IAN WALLACE ian.wallace15 at btopenworld.com
Mon Nov 22 19:26:50 GMT 2004

Am I missing something here? We seem to be having a debate about whether or not we are 'anti-war'. My 'bit' of the anti-war movement (Nether Edge Against War) IS anti-war. I can guarantee that. Its sort of built into the title, really. If people think that war is a solution, then they are unlikely to associate themselves with a group of that name. (In my opinion.)
I also recall one to two million people demonstrating against (the) war on February 15th a couple of years ago. And I recall Lindsey Germain, speaking for the Stop the War Coalition, on the platform, saying, 'War Is No Solution'. I may move in rarified circles but I cannot think of anybody I know who thinks war is a solution. Some of the kids at my special school did think that. Until we discussed it, at great length, over dinner day after day. Then they changed their minds.
But we aren't talking about them. We seem to be having a discussion within the anti-war movement, as to whether or not we are opposed to war.
Strange.
Who is trying to convince whom of what?
Ian

2 % Human <adam at diamat.org.uk> wrote:

Hi,

(Motion to go to Council 01/12/04)

> cuthbert says:
> "All a resolution can do is spell out how hypocritical the libdems and labour are or it can be anti-american by saying something about the humanitarian situation in fallujah."
>
> John:
> I agree with that, except that something said about the humanitarian situation in fallujah, has little to do with being anti-American or not.

I agree that the motion has nothing to do with being anti-american. It
has nothing really to do with being anti-labour / tory / lib dem either
although I can understand how this could be construed from my childish
angry out-burst on the fallujah list on saturday, viz:
http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/project-fallujah/2004-November/000045.html,
for which I apologise. ( The more I read / see about Fallujah; the more
difficult it is to remain composed ).

> [ John to Cuthbert ] I could go on arguing about this [ pacifism ] but there's no point in arguing with people who are blinded by the culture of violence ...

I think there's every point John, and I, for one, am glad that you do.

> ... so much that they think that war is natural and so think that a punctuation between wars is peace.

The film *Truce* based on Primo Levi's [1] book of the same name brought
this point home for me.

> Wars are NOT inevitable but they have a cause, and as you know, these are often deliberately set up ...

Wars are man-made.

> ... so falling into the trap of using violence is exactly what they want us to do, to continue having their wars.

I think we should argue for peace always.

--
2 %

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primo_Levi

If you find that you are receiving a lot of emails from this list, you can use a filter to automatically organise them into a separate mail box as they are received, there are instructions on how to do this at: http://www.groupsense.co.nz/effective.html

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html