[SSC] SSC Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Rosie Sherwood rosanna.sherwood at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 10:38:20 UTC 2011

  I also agree with not offering traditional degrees. Having just completed
my undergrad degree, I'm all to aware that university has become purely
about getting a certificate at the end of it rather than it being an
opportunity for genuine learnin and the exploration of different ideas. It
has to be about a genuine interaction with the subjects rather than just
going through the motions to have something to put on your CV. It may seem
like a risky choice for students, but I think it has to be in order for it
to be a real alternative.

As for loans, I don't think they will be necessary as we will have plenty of
time to work during the week. It will mean a long working week - working
potentially full time with classes and SSC-based work on top of it. When I
compare this to the ridiculous financial strains of doing a conventional
masters, it seems a doddle - this year I am working 3 jobs, 55 hours a week
(recently down from 60), and I still won't have enough money to cover a
masters next year without loans and working more hours than I can really
afford to whilst studying.It will mean rather a different undergrad
experience, but I don't think this is a bad thing. To be honest, I don't
think we'll be attracting a lot of undergrad students coming straight out of
school (The usual HE path will suck most of them in as the
easier/mainstream option as they haven't really had a chance to become
disgruntled with HE yet!) so a lot of people would be working anyway. I
think this reliance on finding work is another reason why we need to have a
clear timescale so that people can start looking at their options.

I don't know Lincoln at all really, so the employment situation there is a
mystery to me. It would be a crucial factor for those wanting to study
there, so something that may need assessing.

Rosie